Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

8.04.2007

loopy

Tomorrow's another triathlon for me. Can you believe it's been a year since Heather and I did our first? Back then we were terrified of the unknown. Today I'm excited to get started. I want to seep in the moments, taking in all of the activity and energy that goes with the journey.

I'll go pick up my packet in a few minutes. Hopefully I'll get to meet the one and only Nichole DeBoom, creator of SkirtSports, marathoner, Ironwoman and all around kick ass cool woman. She's speaking at, oh crap! 11 am, at the race expo. It's 10:30 now. Move it! Hut! Hut! Hut!

I'm not sure why we take so much stock in what others think of us or say about us, but it is interesting how a kind word or a happy person can change our day. I'm starting to understand the how from the pre-coursework for my master's program. One of the readings is about how we interact with others. In it, it talks about how our brains are essentially an "open-loop" system. Open-loop versus the closed-loop system of our, say, circulatory system. In an open loop, our brains take in information, process it and tell us what to do or say in response. Our on-board computer reacts to everything. So says the reading, this explains why we react to others so powerfully. We are hardwired to respond in some way. They've done studies to show that people will sync with each other when they are around each other long enough. It also explains why sometimes you just don't like someone. They are out of sync with your little neurons in your brain.

Where was I going with this? Oh yes, a kind word or nice gesture. Wow, so I met these fine folks recently. She is a national speaker that teaches self-defense to women. He is her adorable husband. We had lunch yesterday and we all had wonderful things to say about each other. But they gave me such good feedback from a recent speaking engagement.

Last month I spoke at a seminar on brand management and using the tactics of Apple, Target, Starbucks, and others to grow your business. I researched and researched, practiced on the dogs, and dressed in my biggest Big Girl Suit for the presentation. I had a OK PowerPoint created from scratch. I had some one-liners to throw in for laughs. I was ready. But nervous.

See, I always feel like that little kid playing pretend. Like someone acting the part, but really not "real." So when Erin and Peter said I was great, and knew what I was talking about, well, I got that little rush of excitement/panic. These people, who know stuff, who have been around the marketing block, said I was the shit. (in a good the shit way, of course)

But they said that when they looked at my website, it didn't seem like "me" at all. That my website focuses on graphic design and marketing too much and not enough on the branding and communications stuff that (their words) I really am. All the way home from lunch my mind was racing. I kept thinking of what I could do, what I could change on my website to make it more, well, like me! But here's the kicker... I know very little about how to make a great website. I'm a print designer. That's what I'm good at. CMYK, lines per inch, bleeds, these are things I can handle. Not so much in the flash department.

I need a web person on my staff. My little intern is great, but she's not really "there." I need a really awesome web person for this and other projects. But instead of being overwhelmed by this, I'm excited to find him/her.

But that's for later. Right now I'm off to meet Nichole DeBoom. Yeee!

Labels: