Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

10.27.2008

Sunday Night Supper Club

The award for the best BFF ever goes to my BFF for starting a Sunday Night Supper Club. This past weekend was a social whirlwind for me, as have all weekends since my singledom began. But this Sunday night I needed a little comforting as it was the end of my week with the kids and I was sad sitting in my empty, quiet house all alone.

The ex came and got the kids at 2:00 yesterday. At 3:00 I went to school to use the interwebs, as I'm too cheap to pay for www access at the Cottage. It's a 10 minute walk to school or the local coffee shop with wifi; I figure, why bother with the expense? The only thing I really miss is Pandora. Everything can wait until I'm in wifi range.

Anyway, where was I? Oh, yes, I was at school checking out what was going on in the world (and by world I mean facebook, twitter, huffpo, etc) and looking for skates for my Halloween costume. I was kind of dreading going home to an empty dog-free house. But lo! I get a text from my BFF that soup was on at 5:30.

At 5:30 I was at her house enjoying a margarita with five of our mutual single friends. There was one token male, who was a good sport and listened and laughed at all of our dating stories. (He may even give me a complete set of China that his mother gave him and he can't use. Score!) BFF served a spicy white bean and chicken soup and someone brought cookies for dessert. As we ate, and talked, and laughed, we moved from margs to wine, and more wine, and next thing I knew, it was 9 pm and everyone was gathering their coats to leave.

Next week Moira promises to host the offical Sunday Night Supper Club at her house. Then it's Teresa's turn, then Rachel's... and so on. Once I get a dining room table, they are all invited to mine.

I'm actually thinking of throwing a winter BBQ at the Cottage. We'll have s'mores, hot cocoa with schnaps, cider and Tuaca, and a fire pit to stay warm. Oh, and some food of some kind. Probably beef brisket, corn on the cob and a mystery side dish to be named later.

If you're in the neighborhood, stop by.