Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

7.22.2008

Why yes, it’s a work post.

Don’t get used to it.

Had a rather pleasant day at work today. It was especially nice after the “situation” yesterday: there was a problem with the quantity for a mailer. We were 531 short and I was the one who gave the wrong quantity to the printer. I ended up finding a solution that didn’t cost a lot of money and made the client happy. It all worked out in the end but I hate making mistakes like that. I owned up to it with the client and my co-workers/superiors, who were pretty impressed that I didn’t try to shift the blame. Why bother, I say? Take the hit. Nevertheless, the day went to hell taking care of that one task.

Today my boss asked me to come in early to help finish scheduling on a million projects – I told her that I’d be there as soon as I could. Tuesday is a swim day and I have to stay on my training schedule as my next tri is less than a month away. I ended up only doing 600 meters (instead of 1100) because I was running late to get to the pool, thus I was running late to get to work. Thursday is my other swim day and we have an all day off-site meeting that day. I might pass out in the meeting if I have to get up as early as I think I do to get in and out of the pool on time.

My school boyfriend came in later in the afternoon and shamelessly flirted with me. He comes in every Tuesday and Thursday with some convenient reason to talk to me. His “cover” is that he’s one of my clients. (Oh, that didn’t come out the right way. I’m the account manager for the group he represents.) At first I didn’t really get it. I’m kind of slow that way. Clueless really. I never really understand when men are flirting with me. As socially inept as I am I just think that they’re being really nice. But one day the light bulb went off and I started to get all flushed thinking about it. Now he always makes me feel rather Hello, Mrs. Robinson when he’s around. He is clearly much younger than I and is graduating in a few weeks. I’m perplexed as to why he flirts with me, as there are 4,000 other female students on campus that could fill that need. They’d be available to boot.

I finished the day by hobnobbing with the dean’s executive assistant, who has met me before but acted like it was the first time. No matter, I’ll win her over. We’ll be BFFs in no time and I’ll be in like Flynn with the new dean. I want to start asking the academic types how they got where they are and how I might get there, too. Baby’s thinking of getting a Ph.D. There is supposed to be a void of professors in the next 10-20 years and I’m thinking tenure isn’t such a dirty word after all.