Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

7.17.2008

Someday it'll be Saturday night

This week I've been living it be like I was 32 again. Two wine events in one week. Crazy, I know.

Wine event #1: Wednesday night, wine class with T.
Wine class was held on the Metro State campus. It was heavily guarded by construction fencing, so we had to walk around the entire perimeter to get to an entrance, then walk halfway back across campus to find the Plaza building. It was about 97 degrees and my ass started sweating the second we got off the train.

When we found the building, we Robinson Carusoed our way through the South Wing to find the West Wing, which never had a sign. Finally we found our prize. It was a small classroom filled with couples. Everyone was doing the "I see you but I'm too socially awkward to talk to you" number. The men wore The Uniform. As in, the married with children uniform: pleated front chinos and a buttoned down Oxford shirt, Blackberry/Treo/Razor secured in the mansaddle attached to the belt. The women were overly tanned and clearly fake in several ways. They all saw us as a threat even though T and I are both spoken for. The only single in the room was the teacher's pet in the front row, wearing a bright pink Weekenders floor-length dress and a serious case of VPL. I wanted to take her aside and teach her the way of the Hanky Panky. Until I heard her speak. She was brown-nosing in wine class. In wine class. It's not like it's for a grade. We learn about aroma and tannins and drink semi-expensive wines. That was it. Game on.

Needless, I drank some divine French wines that I would have never picked up prior to this class. The Domain Serge Laporte, Sancerre, Sauvignon Blanc was to die for. I could drink SB until my tongue fell off. I wanted to take this wine out on a proper date. Like my patio on a Sunday evening, with a shrimp scampi and grilled romaine salad. We could whisper sweet nothings to each other as the sun set. I'd take a picture of us to remember that perfect day. It would go in my scrapbook next to the foil from the bottle and a ticket stub for the Netflix rental.

(We have wine class again next week and I'm looking forward to the sparkling wines. Mama gets a little crazy on the bubbly.)

I got home around midnight and was supposed to swim this morning. Six am rolled around a little faster than I expected and there was no way in heeeeell that I could get in a pool. So I went on a run and damn if it wasn't the best run. Ever. Ev-ah. I was in the zone. I got the high. I ran the whole route. I didn't have to do the shuffle. Or stop to vomit. It was awesome.

Wine event #2: Legal aid fundraiser with L.
This was held in this funky little building on Market Street by the ballpark. I forgot that it was a game night, so the streets were full of Rockies fans shellacked in purple. My friend's on the board of the legal aid foundation and she bribed me with a free ticket and talk of free wine. What can I say? I'm easy that way. I hadn't seen L in ages, so we spent half the time catching up and the other half lamenting that she was hatching a being soon so wine was off limits for another 6-8 weeks. L's a fantastic drinker and a partner in her law firm (they go together like peanut butter and jelly, don't they?).

I knew a lot of people there, either from networking or other boards that I'm on. There was a bunch of hot young lawyers just dripping wet from law school. I can't imagine the amount of their collective student loan debt. Not to mention the total billable hour rate in that room tonight. I'm sure it was more than I make in a year.

The wine tonight wasn't as good as last night. But it was free. Not really – there was a silent auction. I bid on a month of boot camp and I'm pretty sure I won it. I left before the evening was over. L had to leave and I got tired of making small talk. Silent auctions and free wine don't mix, my friends. Come to think of it, that's how I ended up in wine class. I bought it at another silent auction. It's a vicious cycle.

I think I've got a problem. But the first step is admitting it to yourself, right? I'm a silent auction addict. I'm sure that there's a self help group for that. Surely I could buy a free session at a silent auction.