Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

11.04.2007

avoidance


I've avoided posting for over a month. Not because I have nothing to say, but most of it revolves around dog poop, tech support, school, work, husband, food, recycling. Yawn.

Now you get a post from me because I'm avoiding my paper, which is due tomorrow. It is only 1-2 pages. No biggie. It's a "writing for change" letter regarding some matter we are passionate about to someone who can theoretically do something about said matter. Yawn.

I'm also avoiding panic by writing this post. I want to panic because Sir Rockafeller turned 11 years old this Halloween and, well... you'd be a little stiff in the hind legs at 77, wouldn't you? Today's been a bad day, he's been miserable, his hind legs aren't working for him. This means no jumping, running, playing or general doggerness. Yelp.

Please don't panic. Please don't panic. I will call the vet first thing in the morning and they will give him miraculous drugs that will make his hind quarters feel like new again. A few days in the crate for a nap and he'll be fine. He'll be fine. He'll be fine. He has to be fine. I don't have it in me for anything else.

But my paper, lo! It is a fine piece of crap that I am writing this evening. I'm writing to the CEO of a quick-casual restaurant asking them to avoid plastics in their serving of dine-in and take-out foods. Plastics make their way into the waste stream and sometimes real streams. Once in the waste stream, they live in a landfill for the next 1,200,000 million years (give or take a billion). If they get into a real stream, they end up in the ocean, where the waves grind them down into tiny little pieces, much like sand on a beach. But this is a beach made up of grains of PS, PP, HDPE and other non-biodegradable plastics. (Don't forget the sun tan lotion and a cocktail with one of those festive little umbrellas.) I just did a whole book report on Alen Weisman's The World Without Us and learned these scary little facts. Be afraid. Be very afraid. But read the book because it will change the way you look at grocery shopping, driving a car and eating anything that could have come in contact with the air, soil or water.

No more avoiding, I need to complete this masterpiece of shite and finish reading 237 pages for class tomorrow night. Yawn.