Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

5.04.2006

3:17 am

Hound #1 was up all night having a severe allergic reaction to something. What, we will never know. Ninety bucks and a vet visit later (we got off easy) he's sleeping like a, well, a dog. Mom and dad are not. I got up at 3:17 this morning because I couldn't take the scratching and jumping around and rolling on the floor. By the hound, not the hubby. By 3:20 I was on the Internets looking up what the hell could be wrong with him. At 3:26 I decided to give him a bath thinking whatever it was that was bothering him might be washed off. It seemed to tide things over because at 4:18 he finally fell asleep. The alarm went off at 6 am.

I can't think very clearly at 3:17 am. At that time of night (morning?) my brain is in full REM state, dreaming dreamy thoughts about flying naked and remembering what my high school locker combo is so I can get to class. So when I found myself awake at 12:38, 1:20, 2:15, and up at 3:17 am, my thoughts stayed simple, pure. Mostly they revolved around what I had in the house that could make him stop scratching. Aloe Vera? Doesn't go well with fur. Benedryl? Hmm, the drug interaction with his phenobarbital might cause death. (which I've since learned is false for dogs - word to the wise, don't trust the Internets at 3:17 am)

But there was this small part of my brain that lingered to the List of Things To Be Done. Ahhh, the List. Ever growing. Ever listy. This morning it was finish two projects. Design the invite for the beagle picnic. Send friends wedding save the date to print. Apply to be on board of directors for non-profit. Slow down. Do one thing at a time. Where's the dog shampoo? Finish ad for directory. Return phone calls. How come we never have enough towels at 3:17 am? Make a list of camping gear for next week. Buy a cargo holder for camping. Order more Maxalt. Call your brother. Does one really need an iPod? RSVP for golf tournament.

And so on.

He got a second bath in a very special shampoo and creme rinse (a conditioner for dogs? I'm in the wrong biz) later this am. The vet is putting him on fish oil for the rest of his furry life. Greeeeeat. One more for the List of Things To Be Done.