Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

4.17.2006

Yeah, well.

Note to self: learn to use 'save as draft' button while blogging.

Had a long blathering post about dinner with friends on Friday night. Then Blogger vomited all over the place and it is lost forever along with my contact lens that came out in a soccer field one windy day and those hiking boots in a bag lost at the old Stapleton airport.

As the joke in our house goes, 'yeah, well.'* That's what happens.

It was a delightful dinner. The food was ehh. The friends were lovely. Funny. Fun to be with. I say again, delightful. It made up for the lackluster service and overpriced wine. I doubt I'll visit the restaurant again (Black Pearl, on Pearl Street in Denver), not because of the food, but the way they priced it. Twenty-five bucks for a chicken leg and fingerling potatoes cooked in butter. Oy. At least bring me bread before I get to the third request and water before I have to get up to find it myself.

But our dinner last night was equally delightful, while not as bank-busting. We had free tix to the DU men's lacrosse last home game of the season. Where does the season run off to? I'd never watched a lacrosse game, but it was fascinating. The rules? Not so clear. The penalties? The ref was only calling slashing, which was hard to guess why. Sometimes the players would hit each other several times with their stick (not sure on the proper name). A slashing call in hockey if I ever did see it. But in lacrosse? Nah. I'm still not sure what they had to do to get a slashing call.

We came home from the free game (with free parking, la te da) to clean up the yard, throw down some mulch and plant a few things. Then we fired up the grill and lingered on the deck drinking cold beer in the late afternoon sunshine. The hounds ran around the yard on their regular patrols then settled at our feet for their naps. We ate beef pinwheels while listening to the radio and the sounds of the neighbors buzzing about their yards. The day was picture perfect, warm, sunny, dazzling. The day lilies were starting to peak out. The daffodils were smiling at us.

It was the kind of day that you would bottle up and put on a shelf for rainy days. We wanted to linger as long as we could, but the chill set in as the sun set, chasing us inside. I'd take $10 steaks grilled on the deck over an overpriced fancy-schmancy trendy restaurant any day. That's the kind of girl I am.

* Comes from a reply given to me after a falling out with a former friend. When I apologized, her response was 'yeah, well.' Nothing more. So now we use it when there really isn't anything else to be done about something.