Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

3.17.2006

just for me

Wednesday morning I got up with the rising sun and attended the Women In Corporate Growth breakfast presented by the Association for Corporate Growth. I'm not a member, but a nice friend of mine is their executive director, so I went to see what the brew-ha-ha was all about. Apparently about 200 other women had the same idea. All professional women (not that profession) in a range of industries. It was fabulous. My favorite clients had a table and talked me up - this is why they are my favorite clients.

The keynote speaker was Genevieve Bos, the publisher of PINK magazine. PINK? You ask. Why yes. It's a magazine for professional women, like Fortune meets Cosmo. I loved it immediately. With articles like How to Get Fired Like a Man, and covers featuring powerful, successful women, how could I not?! It's not anti-men, it just pro-pink.

While Genevieve talked on about pay equity and passed on amusing stories of high-powered women, I sat with my clients giggling at the one woman in the crowd who felt it necessary, no vital, to yell out 'That's Right' every time G made a good point. Every third sentence. It got a little absurd. But the breakfast also go me thinking about my recent funk or as they say in the medical field: manic episode. I'm not only in a funk, but I'm way too comfortable in it. It's my new blankie. I need to shake it off, move out of this comfortable position and start on a new path.

No, I'm not giving up the Dream. Creative HQ remains intact. But I do what to do more with it, wanted it for a long time. There's a invisible wall between what I want to do and how I would go about doing it. I can't get past that wall. It's imaginary, and completely imposed on me by me and my own inability to understand the next step.

Next week I'm meeting with another small biz woman to discuss forming a small biz roundtable. We both agreed that it benefit us and other women we know to get together once a month to talk about problems and their solutions. I'll refrain from taking out my list at the first meeting.

Other exciting plans are in the works, like a new self-promo piece and Power Pedicures. All in good time. All in good time.