Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

12.05.2005

Some people call me a dreamer.

But I'm actually pretty practical. I've been getting a lot of "offers" for "projects" that "might" someday "lead" to "something" else. So, yes, I have a big imagination. I have about 50 project ideas running through my head at one time. They range from self-promo pieces to new tile in the bathroom. But I'm not too keen on the "do this for cheap now and it might lead to more later" line. It's tawdry, in a way. Don't get me wrong, I've been known to do a small piece for a potentially big client, which has led to large projects. But I don't get the squishy stomach feeling when I agree to do them. These bait and switch deals come with the squishy tummy. It's The Sign. Sometimes The Sign is actually bad milk from Starbucks, but I listen to The Sign as much as possible.

Right now I'm creating an ad that I got on trade in a big publication. It was a trade/cash deal that we both walked away from feeling like we got something out of the project. We both feel good about the project. In the process, I got to meet some amazing people in this town. One of which might actually help me get another project down the line. Or not. But I feel good about it. I feel good about the work I did. I feel good about the relationship with my client.

Is it all about feelings? Perhaps. It's all I know how to do. For far too long I ignored my feelings. I told myself that Big Business Women don't operate that way. I worked in some jobs that I wasn't happy at. I job hopped trying to find the right fit. Every time I talked myself into why it was a good idea. Every time I left, unsatisfied with the position. Now that I'm on this awesome adventure by myself (with the help of my very supportive friends and loving CFO), I'm going to listen to those feelings. I might be wrong, but chances are more often than not I'll be right. Right for me.

In the end, I want to make money just like everyone else in business. I just don't want to do it by ignoring my true self. My darling hubby and CFO told me this morning that I control my schedule, my business, my choices. OK, he didn't say it exactly that way. He said, something about sticking it to The Man and how he couldn't have gotten as far as I have. It sounded really sweet when he said it.