Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

9.02.2005

Taking off the gloves.

Those who know me IRL know that I am passionately political when it comes to certain issues. I try not to bring politics into this blog, because I want to talk about my life, my business and my hounds. But when the leader of the free world issues a big fat up yours to the people in desperate, horrible, obvious conditions, struggling to survive, I have to take the gloves off. This is not about politics. This is about people. This is about keeping promises. This is about learning from our past and preparing for the future.

We've all seen the images. The horror. The lack of effort being made to save people. To feed people. To keep people safe in a crisis. We've seen the president on vacation. Golfing. Playing guitar. Eating cake. I've seen on tv the hundreds of people yet to be evacuated from the friggin hospitals for Christ sake, still in their gowns, just laying around like cattle, IV's held up by each other and I know that could have been me three weeks ago. How horrible that must be. How shameful. When I was in the hospital, I couldn't get up to go to the bathroom by myself, let alone be expected to sit on a roof waiting for rescue. I was drugged up, but still in pain every time I tried to move. I didn't have my glasses. I didn't even have underwear. Imagine going to the hospital for emergency surgery like I did, only to end up held hostage waiting for rescue. Before surgery, the doctor told me I had the option of treating it with anti-biotics, which he didn't recommend unless I was in a third world country and needed to get back to America for surgery. Well guess what, we've got a third world country on the Gulf Coast and no one but the mayors, governors and reporters on the ground seems to get it.

I was on the phone last night with a friend who is African-American. We both discussed the situation and agreed it was shameful. I pointed out that the largest, most industrialized, most powerful nation, with the largest military complex and most resources available could not get 20,000, 50,000, 100,000 people out of NO five days after the disaster. Why? How wrong is that? He agreed. He knew. The huge elephant in the room that some in the MSM are just starting to talk about is the race issue. These are poor people. These are poor black people.

So now people, Americans, are dying, in the streets of America on national tv like they are reporting from another country, another planet even. The nation, the world, is watching in horror. In disbelief. In despair.

I hope, yes, hope, that we are approaching The Tipping Point. I've often wondered what it would take for the sedated SUV-driving-I-care-so- much-because-I-put-a-yellow-ribbon-magnet-on-my-car-see?-just-give-me-another-beer-and-tonights-episode-of-American-Idol-and-don't-bother-me-with-elections common every day Americans. And don't get me started on the media, the butt kissing, yes-sirs without a hard question in their vocabularies. But last night on FOX-friggin-News, they were actually asking the tough questions. Then on CNN, I saw the same thing. And last night on Nightline, Ted Kopple was holding the FEMA director's feet to the fire, asking why this was happening, why did Shrub say the most ignorant statement of his presidency (which is saying a lot) of "no one knew the levees were going to break." Ted was all, WTF, we were talking about this on MONDAY. And then he was pushing Mr. FEMA on why he kept talking about what they were going to do. Finally, this morning on Good-fricken-Morning America, they were repeating the questions, they were talking about the cut in funding to the Corps of Engineers budget to repair the levees. Charles Gibson actually asked Mr. FEMA if anyone in the federal government watches tv or reads the newspapers, cus they've been reporting hell for a week. I kid you not, I thought that Air America had taken over the airways.

And don't just think this is about the lack of leadership from the White House. Where the hell are any of our leaders? Democrat or Republican. All I get are emails to send money to the Red Cross. Gee, thanks genius. Wow. That's an effort there. I can do that. America has no real leaders. You know what, let's elect the mayor of New Orleans as president. The man has not left the city. He has thrown down the facade of politics and is speaking like a human being, frustrated, pissed off and honest. If it wasn't so horrible, it would be refreshing. Or maybe one of the reporters on the ground, who are crying on tv, sickened by the conditions? Or how about Harry Connick, Jr, who is driving around NO as I type wondering why the NG can't do the same?

The Director of Homeland Security? Hello? Anyone home? Wasn't this supposed to be "your thing?" Boy, I sure feel safe now. If terrorists hit us now, God help us. I'm not a fan of guns, but I'm seriously thinking about building up my own arsenal and food supply since Red Dawn and Mad Max have converged on a major American city and the Worlds Only Superpower(TM) can't do a damn thing about it.

I am shamed by the lack of action, the lack of compassion and the lack of humanity coming from the people we depend on to keep us safe in times like these. I am heartened by the millions of Americans who are offering their homes and own lives to help those affected. I don't judge America by its leaders, I know we are better than that. But I certainly expect them to lead.