Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

8.03.2005

Flattery will get you, um, something.

A friend suggested that someone contact me because she was interested in living my life. So this neat lady emails me, resume attached, gushing with flattery about how she wants to do what I do, learn from me, talk with me, have coffee, and so on. She emailed last week during The Kitchen Project, so I put off calling her until today. I also put off opening her resume until this morning. I think I've mentioned previously how I am bi-polar. Non? Well, yeah. There are some awesome days in my life. Days when I am on top o' the world, loving this grand adventure, singing in the shower, feeling like the CEO/Creative Director/Janitor that I am. Then are todays. Crashing. Crushing. Feeling Blue. Wading Through Muck. Doldrums. Pity Central. What ever you want to call it. Days when I can't believe anyone would pay me money for the crap I put out. Days when I tell myself this was all a mistake and I could still be making the medium bucks at BigCo, with decent benefits and a 401(k). So it doesn't help when I open this resume of what is clearly a much more experienced person than I. It's flattering. Almost. Overwhelming. A little. I can't explain it. But the thought that I have something valuable to offer other people, on a day like today, is unbelievable. Catch me tomorrow and I might be different. Maybe not. I've been slowly deflating over the past few weeks. The Kitchen Project only re-directed my attention for a while. Now I'm back to feeling it again. Then this morning a new project! (perhaps) Out of the blue! (a referral from a business friend) With a great company that people have actually heard of. But, but, but. I stammer. I can't believe it. Not today. Today I want to stay in bed and eat ice cream for lunch. Today I want to feel sorry for myself, because, somedays, feeling sorry for yourself feels so good.

I know, I know, I should just exercise and take some vitamins.

Oh, and a few photos from The Kitchen Project:

The supervisors hard at work.