Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

6.17.2005

Feng Shui'd and all that...

Now that my ranting is over - and isn't a good rant something everyone needs every so often? - I've moved on to a better place. Somehow getting it all out in the open has helped. My mind is wide open like windows on a spring day. Fresh air circulates, filtering the dust and grime out, bringing sunshine in its place.

Or something like that. Two things, no, three things happened since I hosted a one woman pity party... I feng shui'd my office, got some direction from a master and volunteered at a ritzy fundraising event. Not quite in that order.

First the master.
I attended a seminar/networking function on Wednesday night. It was all about this marketing program I adhere to, Get Clients Now. The speaker is a certified coach in the program. Since I was one of the first to sign up for the seminar, I got to "ask the master" a question and get a 10 minute mini coaching session. Wow. This was so needed. She helped me understand the program in a deeper way. She gave me permission to "break the rules" of the program and do it different. I had read the book, but never talked to a coach about it. She gave me some clarity and direction. She has a class that starts up in September, which I think I'll join.

Now the feng.
At this same seminar, the ladies that put it together also have a Feng Shui for your Office workshop next week. They talked and talked about how this helped them so much that they wanted to help others. Since I am impatient at times, I looked up feng shui for offices online. Another big wow. Turns out I've had my water fountain on the wrong wall all this time! And no green plants on the East wall! And, my day planner on the wrong corner of my desk! How I survived this long without spontaneously combusting, I'll never know. The worst part? I left my bathroom door open. How could I leave my bathroom door open?! This lets money down the drain! Whew. Thankfully I caught all my errors in time. My BF Megan and I fenged together on the phone. She fenged her cube at a large government agency, which we all know can use all the feng it can get. So I like to think I did a favor for all our lives that are touched by this big gubment agency.

Now there are some of you who may scoff! at the feng shuiing of my office. (And your name is hubby.) Scoff! away I say. Scoff! all the live long day. While you're scoffing!, I'm answering calls from clients for more work. Yes, within 15 minutes of shuiing the "Creative HQ," I got a call for another project. Not just any call. This client just went on and on and on about how great the last project I did for them was. She just gushed, yes, gushed! over the positive responses they got from their clients about it. It was just what I needed right when I needed it. So scoff! all you want, but my feng is shuid.

And finally the ritz.
I'm a sucka for volunteering. I think I was born to be a professional volunteer. Last night, me, my BF Megan and some other girlfriends volunteered at the Alzheimer's Association's Memories In The Making art auction. As volunteers, we were treated to what the posh paid $$$ to gain admittance. There was a Cosmo bar, a wine bar, a beer bar, and "some" food. Roast beast, salmon, breads o' the world, anti-pasta goodies, little desserts that went down soooo easy and on and on. The art was all created by Alzheimer's patients. B-eau-T-ful stuff. Heart-breaking to read their stories. It made me ache for my grandmother who passed away last year. They paired a few of the pieces with art donated by professional artistes, so you could get two for the price of several. I saw a John Fielder picture that I could have made a home for, but it went for hundreds (multiples) of dollars in the live auction. Someone bought a pair for $4800! There was another that went for several K. Big money was there and they were all so happy to give. Even when I worked the register, with lines 20 deep, they all kept their cool and a smile on their face. They were giddy with what they'd done.

So that's me. My feng is shuid and I'm learning to take things as they come. Now I just got a call from a girlfriend who got fired from her horrible job. (This is a good thing, she was miserable.) We are going to lunch. We'll probably have cocktails. That's what a woman who doesn't worry does with her Friday afternoon.

Update: 3:30 pm. Just got back from a THREE HOUR lunch with my unemployed friend. That's right. I highly recommend it. Doing nothing but chatting, laughing and drinking cocktails for three hours does the body good.