Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

5.23.2005

Unplugged

Yours truly spent the whole weekend unplugged. No email. No cell phone. No internets. How? Wha? Huh? How could you?

Yes, it's true. It was completely unplanned. Somehow between all the golf, drinking, napping, yardwork and more drinking, I forgot to turn on the computer or cell phone.

Friday night the only neighbors we talk to came over the fence for a rock and roll margarita party. They finally stumbled back over the fence at 2 am! Oh. Ma. Ga. Four hours later I discovered, once again, that I am, indeed, not a rock star when we had to be up for an early tee time. Ouch. Double ouch. I walked 18 holes for the first time ever. Then I paid for it with blisters and sunburn because it was 970,000 degrees in sunny Aurora. My SPF 900 melted off faster than I could drive my ball in a sand trap.

Somehow I mustered the energy to attend a potential client's grand opening on Saturday night. Alright, it wasn't much of a sacrifice. It was a grand opening of a day spa. They had free adult beverages, tasty food, and... a chocolate fountain! It took every ounce of energy to resist putting my head IN the chocolate fountain. Everyone needs a chocolate fountain in their home. This should be a law or something. Forget "homeland security" put in a chocolate mandate. They all should come with fresh strawberries, marshmallows and shortbread for dipping. I think it could pass easily in the House, but the Senate is a bit tricky these days.

The rest of the weekend was spent in a cool location with frrrrosty beverages and fans. The Mr. and I did a teeny project in the yard on Sunday. After our landscaping extravaganza last year, complete with trenching, tilling and laying sod, this one was a walk in the park. We installed some trelliseses, trellisi, trelli? and some clematis, which I'm told grows like a weed. Perfect for blocking out nosy neighbors. (not to be confused with the rock star neighbors)

It wasn't until late Sunday night that I realized I'd spent the whole weekend unplugged. Even with the sunburn, the blisters, the aching back and the 970,000 degree weather, it felt relaxing. A mini vacation from the stress of life. One less thing to think about. It was... nice. Don't fret, I'm not going all Laura Ingalls on you now. Trust me.