Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

5.31.2005

Rainy days and Mondays

It rained pretty much all day yesterday. I grew up in the desert, where rain is a luxury. So I love the rain. Love it. Love it. Love it. Just not on a holiday weekend. Not when I should be out in the garden planting. Manual labor is such a catharsis for me. I process all the big stuff that way. The little problems are solved on my morning walks. But the hard stuff, the stuck in the side of your head and won't leave problems are solved during a good weed pulling, planting or mulching expedition. It is in the methodical digging, turning, pulling and raking that all the worlds troubles fall from my shoulders. I don't even know what's going to happen at the beginning, but once I'm fingers deep in the soil, an idea, a solution, just jumps in my head.

I had some big issues to think about this weekend. Last week I took some time to look at my P&L for the first five months of the year. Granted, I have only been out on my own for five months, but as an over-achiever, OCD-ish, person, I expect more from myself. I expect perfection. So when I looked at my P&L (which was mostly profit since I am a service business), and it didn't match up with what I made last year at BigCo, I freaked out, um, a smidge.

So I starting thinking of what I needed to do to get to that level. I added up all the upcoming projects I know about. Hmm, still need a little more. Alright, a lot more. Hmm. What to do. What to do. I started pacing. Pacing helps, you see. What to do. What to do. Sell my kidneys? No, I may need those. Oh yes, remember that marketing plan you put together at the beginning of the year? Get it out from under the pile of DBJ's and crack it open. Wow, it's like you never worked a day in marketing.

But there is still a lot of thinking to be done. I need to review what I did for the last five months, and adjust my plan for the next seven. Yes, that's it. That's what I need to do. That's where the gardening comes in. But Ma Nature didn't want me to think yesterday. Instead she wanted me to spend three hours at Lowe's ordering kitchen cabinets and countertops, and another two hours at the garden center buying shrubbery. Yes. She wanted it. Who am I to say no to mother?

Today I may get that chance. After I work on a client project, take the pooch to the vet, and hubby comes home, we will plant those shrubbery we bought yesterday. We also have to dig up a dead tree to prepare for a live tree to take its place. All that digging is bound to produce outstanding ideas. Maybe even brilliant ideas.