Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

4.03.2005

please excuse the sunshine

The thing we do not speak of happened today, this morning actually, at 2 am. I do not speak of this event because I was raised in a somewhat bizarre, but very time-sensitive state: Arizona. Hubby and I have a deal. I pretend that it doesn't happen twice a year, and he changes all the things affected by it.

But the one and only by-product of this thing we do not speak of, the sunshine, oh the glorious sunshine, stayed in the sky until well past 6:00 pm. We spent the day soaking it in. The horrible hounds were walked to near exhaustion. They slumped into deep, rabbit chasing dreams when we returned home. We tended to the yard, getting it dolled up for it's prime time debut. The grass is greening beyond belief; we've already mowed it once this season and it looks like it needs another pass. In another month I'll be cursing my fast growing Bluegrass.

At the end of the day, while the heat of the sun slipped behind the purple mountains, we sat on the deck and ate sloppy tacos with our fingers and drank summer time cocktails with glee. My body is tired from the work: raking, pulling weeds and readying the pots for new arrivals. But I cherish this feeling. Working with your hands in the earth is the only authentic kind of work for me.

Tomorrow I'm back to work behind the desk. I've got three projects to bust out this week. And I'm taking a short week. My boys are playing in the Frozen Four at noon on Thursday. Then it's to the mountain on Friday for some much needed skiing and drinking at high altitude. Woo hoo! Who knows, perhaps we'll run into a fellow beagle owner up there?