Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

1.06.2005

Sing with me now!

"Everybody hates me, nobody likes me, I'm gunna eat some worms!"

Did anyone else hear that as a child? I feel it's completely appropriate for my first week "at work." My dad used to tease me with it when I was a kid, whenever I'd start whining about something. He's mean like that. Actually, he's the best dad a sarcastic gal could hope for.

Yesterday was about 3 degrees outside, snowing, overcast, icky. My favorite kind of day, next to rainy spring days. I didn't leave the house all day. All day. No one called me back. No one. "...I'm gunna eat some worms..."

I went to Harbucks this morning just to get out of the house, be around humans, interact. Their whole milk was funky, which I found out after I poured it in my tea... but, being the customer service driven chain they are, they made me another "medium" and gave me fresh milk, no questions, no charge, no complaints. Nice.

Contrast that with my visit to a large craft store chain afterwards, and it's textbook example of "good" vs. "bad" customer service. I won't go into details, but the sign on the door that says, "we reserve the right to search any customer's person or belongings at any time" pretty much sums it up. We've got your warm fuzzies right here, lady!

Some days I feel like I have nothing to post... because how many times can I say: got up, walked the beasts, made calls, sent cards, read, blogged, worked on website, worked on mailer....? So exciting. I was much more interesting when I worked at Big Co. At least I had snarkable subjects nearby.

What do I have to snark on now? The weird lady in the park this morning, pacing back and forth, waiting for her dog to do its biz? The Indian neighbors (no, not Native American) who's house always smells like curry (at any time of day)? How 'bout the arsehole who walks his dog past our house, off leash, everyday at 9:30 am... the little rat dog runs up to our door freaking out my dogs every time, every time!?!

I gotta get out of the house more. Don't worry, I'm working on it. One of my goals is to be more creative, so I'm trying to find freelance writing gigs, maybe teach a class on PR or copywriting at CFU, and take a watercolor class. All challenging, but do-able.

Thought for the day:
Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed.
Michael Pritchard