Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

1.05.2005

Gettin' Down to Bid'nes

I've been networking for about a year now, but always under a cloak of secrecy. It almost felt wrong, somehow, to try networking while on the clock somewhere else.

I'd usually hit the afterhours events, rushing away from the office early. This was easy when the boss man was away, more obvious when he was there. From time to time I'd try a lunch meeting. These were tough but so worth it. Most of my good contacts came from the lunches. Alas, I'd have to scurry off afterward to get back to my cube. No time to talk, gotta run!

Scheduling meetings with prospective clients was comical. "Can you meet at 10 am on Tuesday?" they'd ask. Um, no. "Wednesday at 2?" No. "Thursday at 9:30?" Sorry, I have a full time job... They were usually understanding, but I could tell a bit perplexed.

But no more! Since becoming deliberately unemployed, I can go anywhere, do anything, talk to anyone, for as long and as much as I like. The problem is, I have no where to go this week, no one to talk to, and no one returning my calls.

One of my weekly action items is to go to a networking event. I'm not a "leads group" type of person, they freak me out in ways I can't describe. Someday I may get there. I try to pick events where I'll actually learn something, or even nuttier, form a friendship with the participants. People like to do business with people they know and trust. My networking skills have a looooong way to go, but so far I've gotten past the awkward opening line, the 30 second commercial and the "graceful exit."

What are some of the ways you independent ladies and gents get around? I'm curious.

Thought of the day: Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say and not giving a damn. ~ Gore Vidal