Daphne 3.0

Basking in mediocrity since 2004.

12.28.2004

yet another reason to have two beagles...

Today, this day, this glorious, wonderful day, I got a call from my friend Vicky at American Express. Yes, the American Express. We have AmEx car and home insurance and a Blue card. We like AmEx. Most of the time. Several months ago, say, in August, I had a teeny, tiny auto incident. It ended up taking over seven weeks to fix Russell, our lefty Subaru Outback Wagon. When it all came down, we owed a teeny, tiny bit more than our deductable for some tires and a rental. I complained. Got nutin. I complained again. Got more nutin. My wise mamma advised me to write a letter. So I wrote to AmEx insurance, AmEx consumer affairs and this teeny, tiny state agency called, the Colorado Division of Insurance. Hmm.

For over a month I got no response. Then, as if by magic, the Colorado Division of Insurance sent a letter to AmEx insurance demanding phone logs, responses to questions and all within 30 days. Hmm.

And today, this day, this glorious, wonderful day, Vicky called. She's not with the insurance side, she's with what we like to call, the "customer service" side. She apologized. She huffed and hawed with indignious disbelief that AmEx would treat customers this way, and then she said she would credit our rental costs to our Blue card. Hmm.

One thing led to another and soon we were talking about dogs. "Are you a dog person?" I asked. "Yes, I have two beagles," she responded. Two beagles!?! The chances? The odds?! The luck?! We discussed our darling beasts for several minutes and then she got back to business... "Well, I see the difference was $374, but why don't I credit you an even $500?" Yes, indeed. Why don't you? I could talk about beagles all day if that would get us a better credit.

Hmm.